I’d like to start the blog talking about food.
You may only want hockey, and that’s fine, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog.
– Tried Habit Burger for the first time during lunch today. You may like Habit Burger and that’s fine. But to quote an old Condors head coach, it was “just ok.” You want the best burger in Bakersfield? Go to Burger Hut. You won’t be disappointed. There’s a reason I go there once a week and now I know why I don’t venture to other burger spots.
– Speaking of food and as mentioned on Condors Insider last night, this was the spread on Monday night after the Condors victory.
Celebrating the Presidents. pic.twitter.com/Vk7qc1DBHy
— Ryan Holt (@CondorsHolty) February 20, 2018
– You ever going to talk hockey Holty? Maybe. But, at the Alumni Reunion and 20th Anniversary Party tonight at the Marriott there’s going to be a taco bar. Sure, you can meet and re-connect with Condors from all eras, but more importantly, THERE’S A TACO BAR.
– The event will feature former players who were in the Mr. Condor competition which has reached the Final Four. Vote here, once a day, per device.
The Final Four of Mr. Condor presented by Stinson’s is SET.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) February 22, 2018
– Great video from this past weekend’s Hometown Hockey on Condors d-man Ethan Bear and how he is a role model in the First Nations community. Hometown Hockey would be like an E: 60 in Canada.
– The Playoff Primer is out. It’s updated every day, so you may as well bookmark.
— AHL Communications (@AHLPR) February 22, 2018
– Holty, make sense of that excel spreadsheet, please? Sure thing. In my estimation, the Condors need to accumulate 28 points over their final 20 games to make the playoffs. They may need more. They may need fewer than 28. But in my best educated guess, 28 points over 20 games and the Condors would make the playoffs.
– Some positive news this week as Caleb Jones is practicing. We may see him this weekend. Ryan Hamilton had successful surgery. Ryan Mantha is not skating. I’d expect Joey LaLeggia to move back up to wing.
– In the lead up to Saturday’s Blackout Cancer game, players took time out to show their support. Their jerseys will be auctioned off on Saturday to benefit the Kern County Cancer Fund.
– The NHL Trade Deadline is Monday at Noon Pacific. We’ll see if anything impacts the Condors, but certainly a good idea to block off a morning of not doing much work and keeping it glued to illegal streams of TSN >> http://bit.ly/2ouBsld
– Preview of the weekend? Looks like the Reign will be without Jack Campbell who was recalled to LA after Darcy Kuemper was traded to Arizona. The Reign will have Paul LaDue and Michael Mersch though, so that’s a plus for them. San Jose got leading scorer Rudolfs Balcers back after Eric Fehr was acquired from Toronto (he was in San Diego on loan).
– I’m headed down to The Pond on Sunday afternoon to catch up with Oilers staff and see some former Condors. It’s crazy to think we’re almost three years into the AHL era. Also enjoy seeing Condors jerseys when the Oilers are on the road in LA and Anaheim.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt aka Holty is in his 7th season as the voice of the Condors. He was once traded to Kalamazoo for a new hydro-collator, but didn’t pass a physical and was returned to Bakersfield. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to RHolt@bakersfieldcondors.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.