A #HoltySpoiler to kick off the blog: the 2016-17 Bakersfield Condors are a good hockey team.
You may like your spoilers at the end of blogs, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want…
Now for the blog.
– Remember that long home stretch that seemed like it would last forever? Well, the Condors went 8-4-1 on it, are two games above .500, and now hit the road for their next five thru Christmas.
– Why is this a good team? A goals-against per game of 2.45 (2nd), a penalty kill in the top-10 at 85.0%, the AHL-leading scorer even though the team plays eight fewer games in Taylor Beck, and timely goal-scoring which is now up to 2.75 a game.
– You want more? Sure you do. Both goalies are in top-7 in save percentage with Nick Ellis fourth at .931 (yes I know he doesn’t qualify yet, but he will), and Laurent Brossoit seventh at .927. Factor in the addition of Dillon Simpson and David Musil and the Condors figure to have “their team” for the first time this weekend.
– Speaking of Simpson, congrats to him for making his NHL debut this past week. He played in three games with the Oilers.
— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) December 8, 2016
– Winterfest is practically here. Look at these tweets. If you haven’t gotten your tickets do so now. $20 day pass for skating, $10 for zip line, or everything all day for $50. Buy ‘em here.
— John Harte (@jhdps) December 14, 2016
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) December 15, 2016
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) December 12, 2016
– Speaking of great articles, hats off to Kelly Ardis for this one in the Bakersfield Californian. Really sums up how much of a community event this will be for the city of Bakersfield and Kern County.
– Time to hit the road. We’ll be live from Ontario Friday night and San Jose on Saturday at 7 p.m. Tune in on Fox Sports 970, iHeartRadio, and AHL Live.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt, a.k.a. Holty is in his 6th season as Voice of the Condors. He always sits four seats behind the bus driver. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, comments, or blog ideas.