CONDORSTOWN, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors, ECHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers, announced today that the team has agreed to terms with returning F Brett Lyon and second-year pro F Louke Oakley With their additions, the roster stands at 19 players (12 F, 6 D, 1 G).
Brett Lyon, 22, Grand Forks, British Columbia, Canada
- Played in 48 games with the Condors (5g-5a-10pts), after being acquired from Orlando on December 9, 2012.
- Led the team and all ECHL rookies in penalty minutes (PIMs) with 218 in 2012-13. Had the second most penalty minutes in the Condors ECHL era. (2003-04, Jon Mirasty, 358)
- Finished tied for 4th in PIMs in the ECHL in 2012-13.
- 3rd in the ECHL with 22 major penalties (20 fighting majors)
- Played four seasons in the Western Hockey League (WHL).
“I’m looking forward to coming back and contributing at both ends this season,” Lyon said. “Certainly, like last year, I’m not going to shy away from anything physical, because it’s important to get noticed that way. By being a physical, two-way player, I can help the team win and with Edmonton staying up-to-date on what we’re doing, it will help to know that they are watching closely.”
Troy’s Take: “The biggest compliment I can give to Brett is that when I first took the job and interviewed players from last season, his name kept coming up as a player everyone wanted back. It’s a testament to his character and how he’s viewed by the team. We wanted to increase our physical presence up front and also have a guy who can play the game, which are two things that are hard to find together.”
Lyon’s career stats: click here
Louke (pronounced Luke) Oakley, 24, Whitby, Ontario, Canada
- 2012-13: Played his rookie season in Germany for ESV Kaufbeuren, racking up 37 points (17g-20a) in 48 games.
- Led Kaufbeuren in goals (17), third in points (37).
- 2011-12: Played seven games at the end of the year for the Wheeling Nailers (ECHL), registering a goal and two assists for three points.
- Played four seasons at Clarkson University (2008-12) with 25 goals and 56 points for 81 points in 136 games.
- Finished second on the team in scoring as a senior, notching 35 points (16g-19a) in 37 games; one point behind 2012-13 Condor C Nicholas Tremblay.
- Clarkson teammate of 2012-13 Condors Tremblay, F Jake Morley, RW Scott Freeman. and recently signed G Paul Karpowich.
“(Nicholas) Tremblay had nothing but good things to say about the organization and the city last year,” Oakley said. “Last year was a tough year to turn pro with the lockout, but I enjoyed playing in Germany last season. I like to be creative on the ice, not afraid to make the pass that others might not think is there, and be poised with the puck.”
Troy’s Take: “The coaches at Clarkson raved about Louke’s skill level and speed. He had a great senior year there and was nearly a point-per-game guy in Germany last season. We’re looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.”
Oakley’s career stats: click here
Download roster: Click here
Pre-order new jerseys: Click here
Download 2013-14 Condors schedule: Click here
Opening Night Countdown: 38 days; Tickets just $10/month
Don’t miss Opening Night when the Condors host the Colorado Eagles on Friday Oct. 18! Queen Victoria, the world famous Condor, will make a special encore appearance and we’ll give away 2,000 Angry Birds plush hats. Click here to see all of the great, family fun promotions announced. Ticket packages are on sale now for the 2013-14 season for just $10/month. Click here or call 324-PUCK (7825) for more information.
Best ways to use your season tickets, #55: Give to an employee who exceeded his or her duties.