We’ll title this one – “The Last Offseason Blog”
Though we’re technically 23 days from regular season hockey at Rabobank Arena, by this time next week, the bulk of the 2016-17 Condors will have already gone through medicals, had three practices, and started getting settled into Condorstown.
You may want “The Last Offseason Blog” written on Oct. 13 and that’s fine, but it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
– 12 players have been assigned to Bakersfield over the last three days. Goaltender Nick Ellis was assigned today. He had a standout season last year at Providence College and was one of the top netminders in the country. Obviously more are coming as the Oilers get down to their 23-man roster.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) September 29, 2016
– I see Ryan Vesce was released yesterday, but wasn’t assigned, what’s that mean? Vesce, Kris Versteeg, and Eric Gryba are on NHL PTO’s, meaning they do not have a contract. Vesce was released yesterday and is free to sign wherever.
– In NHL preseason action, Tyler Pitlick had two points the other night, Anton Slepyshev had a goal, and Jujhar Khaira had a big hit here…
— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) September 29, 2016
– Any training camp practices open to the public? Following the preseason games (Oct. 8 at home & Oct. 9 at San Jose) and an off day on the 10th, the team will practice at the Ice Sports Center from the 11th-14th before leaving for Canada on the 15th. The practices over at the Ice Sports Center are open to the public. We’ll have an open practice for members only next Wednesday inside Rabobank Arena with more details tomorrow. Not a member? Sign up!
– Is Norfolk still the Condors ECHL affiliate? Yes. However, Oilers Entertainment Group (referred to on Twitter as #TheBosses) has sold the ECHL membership in Norfolk to Mango Media Group. Nothing affects the Condors.
– An official Condors app is coming imminently. It will have cool features including potentially picking a goal song every night. For now though, Jack Bartl is just having fun with the photo cards.
— kb (@KevinBartl) September 29, 2016
– Lock of the week? It’s been a #HoltysBlog heater as of late, so let’s spread it around. Last week, we put the house on friend of the blog @GrizzliesVoice and Utah. Since Notre Dame is awful and I won’t go for other friend of the blog @Joe_Babik and his Syracuse team, we have to head to Pullman, Washington with former colleague @WillHoenike. Washington State is +1.5 on Saturday against a bad Oregon team. Back the Cougs.
– SECOND LOCK OF THE WEEK ALERT! The US wins the Ryder Cup this weekend. They’re the heavy favorite and as we all know, I hate favorites. But, you can get good odds on some individual top point getters on the weekend. Rickie Fowler at 25/1 to secure the most points is nice. He did well at the Olympics. He’s basically America.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt a.k.a. Holty enters his sixth season as Voice of the Condors. He has been fighting a cold the past three days, but has toughed through it without even taking a sick day. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an email to RHolt@bakersfieldcondors.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.