There was history made in the American Hockey League last night.
You may not like history, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
– So Charlotte and Lehigh Valley played the longest game in AHL history last night as the Phantoms edged the Checkers at 6:48 of the FIFTH overtime. The entire game took six hours and six minutes and finished at 1:09 a.m. It was only surpassed by three NHL games all-time. Phantoms’ goalie Alex Lyon made 94 saves on 95 shots, the second most in the 82-year history of the AHL.
— AHL (@TheAHL) May 10, 2018
– There was a Condors connection to the game as alum Andrew Miller played for the Checkers. Miller was also with Oklahoma City when they went to 4 overtimes against Utica in 2015. That game is now the 7th longest in league history.
– I tuned in early in the fourth overtime and thought, “hey if they’ve come this far, I hope they at least set the record.” Selfishly, I’d be pretty bummed if two teams went that far and didn’t set a record.
The new top five: pic.twitter.com/jft9b2pogA
— AHL Communications (@AHLPR) May 10, 2018
– If you’re not exhausted after those three bullet points, there was more meaningful hockey played last night. Oilers prospect Stuart Skinner, drafted in the 3rd round of last year’s NHL Draft, pitched a 32-save shutout as the Swift Current Broncos beat Everett, 1-0, to take a 3 games to 1 lead in their Western Hockey League (WHL) Final.
— SC Broncos (@SCBroncos) May 10, 2018
– Skinner has been tremendous for the Broncos and has stopped 132 of 139 shots in the series. One more win and they would advance to the Memorial Cup. He is not signed currently, but you would have to imagine with the way he has played this season that a contract would be imminent. Game 5 is Friday night.
– Speaking of signings, the Oilers signed Tyler Vesel to a one-year NHL contract. He finished this past year in Bakersfield and had five points over the final six games. Should he end up in Bakersfield, I think it would be a nice addition to the Condors forward group.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) April 8, 2018
– This is a Holty teaser, but it looks like Tuesday, May 29 in the evening will be your opportunity to meet new Condors Head Coach Jay Woodcroft. We’ll have more details, but consider this a Save the Date.
– There are some game-worn jerseys from this season up in the Condors team store. More will go up in the coming weeks, but grab yours today here
– Lock of the week? LOVE Winnipeg tonight in Nashville. Also love the over too. Purely for fun of course.
– We’ll finish this week on a somber note as former Condors forward Matt Thurber passed away at the age of 28 on Tuesday morning. He leaves behind a wife and one-year old daughter. Matt was a big part of that 2013-14 Western Conference Finals run after suffering a traumatic event prior to Game 1 in Utah. It was scary seeing him in the hospital then and I still vividly remember calling Louis Amestoy at the Californian to grab his jersey from Rabobank Arena and drive it up in time for Game 5 up the 99. Below is a Condors Unleashed segment we did with Matt back then.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt aka Holty is the Voice of the Condors and enters his eighth season in Condorstown. He definitely would not make it five overtimes. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to RHolt@BakersfieldCondors.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.