What a great week in #Condorstown! First, the schedule drops on Monday, then on Tuesday, the Three-Way Chevrolet Condorstown Outdoor Classic presented by Mission Bank comes to life at Memorial Stadium.
You may think there is too much going on to write a blog, and there is, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog, and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
- The schedule is out. I love everyone eagerly anticipating the schedule as if there are going to be some huge surprises. Nope. It’s just not feasible to have every team play each other. They only started doing that recently in the NHL, the MLB doesn’t do it, and neither does the NFL, so I never quite understood why some folk think minor league hockey should play everyone.
- What do you think about the schedule? From purely a hockey standpoint, I like starting with a plane-flight road trip and especially getting the Manitoba trip out of the way when there’s only 10 inches of snow on the ground. Gives the team a chance to get to know one another and then sets up for November’s long home stand.
- How about the division – any teams jumping out at you? I think Ontario is going to be just as good, and I think Tucson is going to be surprisingly good with the amount of young talent on their team. The team up the 99 gets better with Gillies in net, San Antonio looks really old on paper, Texas will benefit from Dallas having a ton of depth up front, and I think San Jose/San Diego will be a little worse from last year.
- So what you’re saying is you have no clue … that’s exactly what I’m saying. I think everyone can get a general idea of how a team will be, but so much changes throughout the year.
- Go ahead, give us your predictions for playoff teams so you can look foolish in April, you won’t…Fine, here we go in no particular order: Ontario, Texas, Tucson, Bakersfield
- How crazy are you guys for putting two rinks outside for 18 days? Pretty crazy. But, nothing great ever happens without some risk and a crazy idea. That’s a fact. It’s why I’m happy to work for an organization that at least goes out on a limb to make something happen, no matter how crazy the idea may be.
- How do I get tickets for the Outdoor Classic? Condors members received an email this week to upgrade their seats (they already get tickets as part of their package) and purchase other tickets. Groups of 20 or more, members or not, can purchase tickets now as well by calling 324-PUCK (7825). Youth & adult hockey teams are already flooding the tournaments that will be held outdoors, so if you have a team or your child is on a team, get them signed up here.
- As @PrezRiles said, we’re going to need the community’s support to make this an unreal event and 18 days. If you or your company wants to jump on board like Three-Way Chevrolet, Mission Bank, and Bakersfield College, give us a call at 324-PUCK (7825). Tell them Holty’s Blog sent you.
- Will the game be televised? Will the team wear special jerseys? Will there be a zip line?… Maybe. Stay tuned. YES!
- Any more signings coming down the chute? Think Condorstown is going to like one in particular coming soon. #HoltyTeaser
- Hey thanks for making me some money with your Cerrone / McGregor parlay on Saturday, what do you have for us this weekend? It’s a tough time of year for sports with not much going on, but the $1.25 million Travers Stakes in Saratoga is this Saturday. As we all know, I’m a big Exaggerator fan. He definitely finishes in the money, but it’s not going to be a muddy track. Throw him in with Destin (who I think wins the race) and American Freedom. 8-7-2 … thank me later.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt a.k.a. Holty enters his sixth season in Condorstown in 2016-17. He went with the blue Winterfest hat, you should too by buying one in the office. Tweet to him @CondorsHolty or shoot him an e-mail with questions, comments, or blog ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org