I’d like to begin today’s blog with an apology to the great people of Milwaukee for my selection of the Admirals to win the Western Conference. It was a #HoltyJinx of the worst kind and I for one, could not feel any worse. You see, I enjoyed my (albeit brief) trip to Milwaukee. They fry everything there. They give you cheese in all shapes, sizes, and fry levels at all points of the day. And best of all, the Admirals staff was the first to welcome the Condors staff into the AHL marketing meetings last summer. Good people, those Admirals staffers.
So for that, and the sweep in the first round, I apologize. You might be thinking “well if you wanted them to win, then you shouldn’t have picked them.” That’s not how it works. I have to go with what I truly believe. That’s what the blog is all about. As I’ll remind you, it’s my blog, and I’ll do what I want…
Now for the blog…
- First order of business, welcome back Ryan Hamilton. I teased a big announcement this week and there are none bigger than locking up the captain for the next two seasons. Talking to some of the coaching staff yesterday, one of the best things about having him back is they know exactly what they’re going to get on and off the ice. With a healthy season, he’ll deliver 20-25 goals and 40-50 points. But, his biggest asset to the team is much more than just the points and statistics.
- Probably won’t be too much in terms of regular signings. As I’ve mentioned before, many faces such as D Joey LaLeggia, C Jujhar Khaira, G Laurent Brossoit and more are already locked into the organization (Oilers/Condors) for next season.
- How about the disparity in Game 7’s this week? Chicago – St. Louis was one of the best ones while Anaheim – Nashville was a good opportunity for an early nap. Don’t get me wrong, if I’m Nashville, I loved that game. There was no energy in the building, no life from the team, and the end result was the Predators fairly easily advancing.
- The NHL Draft Lottery is Saturday night. Oilers have the second-best percentage at getting the #1 Overall pick (only Toronto has a better chance). A lot has been made about too many #1 picks, but to me, if you’re in the draft lottery as 14 teams are, you want the best possible pick. Good luck to the Oilers.
- San Antonio will have a new coach next year
- Seattle and potential future Condor Ethan Bear are on to the WHL Final, one step from the Memorial Cup. He had two goals in the series clincher last night.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt, a.k.a. “Holty,” has been the Voice of the Condors for the past five seasons. Now that the offseason is here, his Burger Hut consumption will be astronomical. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty or drop him an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org