It’s all come down to games 67 & 68.
You may think the Condors playoff chances are slim, and that’s fine, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
– Holty, what has to happen over the next 48 hours for the Condors to wake up Sunday in the playoffs? Well, it’s a three-step process:
1) Beat Stockton in regulation tonight
2) Beat San Jose at home in ANY fashion tomorrow night
3) Tucson beats Stockton in regulation tomorrow night
That’s the only situation which lands the Condors a first-round matchup with San Jose.
– Can this be done? Certainly. I mean, Tucson did just sweep San Jose on the road this week, so hopefully they have one more in them Saturday.
– Should be a pretty intense game tonight with the stakes. Stockton is one of the most penalized teams in the league and the Condors cannot play into that tonight. A win from Bakersfield tonight and for me, all the pressure shifts to Stockton for Game 68.
– 19th goal of the season on Wednesday in San Diego for Josh Currie. A great second AHL season for him and not bad for a guy who had an ECHL contract at the beginning of 2015-16.
– Gerry Fleming always says to look forward and not focus on what happened in the past, but I thought the Condors played well in San Diego. The score looks lopsided, but that’s a 3-1 game and I thought Jhonas Enroth was the difference. He was stellar. Personally, I think San Diego waxes Ontario in the first round.
– The Oilers play Game 2 of their series against San Jose tonight at 7:30 p.m. on NBCSN. After jumping out to a 2-0 lead in Game 1, the Sharks came back to take it 3-2 in overtime. But how about the pre-game projection and entertainment? I really like the idea of the anthem singer in the stands. Nicely done. The man in charge of most of this is Rich Meyers. He was once in Grand Rapids and gave a presentation at our ECHL league meetings my first year. I’m not sure what that means, but it’s a small world.
– There is a ton going on for the Condors regular season finale tomorrow at 6 p.m. Grab some friends and come out as taps open at 5 p.m. for a craft beer tasting on the concourse thru the end of the first intermission. It’s free with a ticket to the game.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) April 12, 2017
– You can also bid on the team’s warmup jerseys from this season at the silent auction table. I really liked the design this year.
Here’s to a solid 48 hours and to waking up Sunday in the playoffs!
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt a.k.a. Holty is in his sixth season with the Condors. He’s getting tacos for lunch today. If the Condors win, he’ll eat tacos every day from here on out. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to email@example.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.