If (of course) you follow me on Twitter, you’d know that I hinted at the possibility of a history-making Friday blog. Well, old curmudgeon @MikeGriffith54 would not allow such a thing, so here we are.
You may have wanted to make history, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
- Welcome back to the family, Keith Gretzky. The former Bakersfield Fog Head Coach was named Edmonton Oilers Assistant General Manager on Tuesday. Bill Scott, who many in Condorstown saw frequently at various events and at games, transitioned into a new role as Director of Salary Cap Management & Assistant to the President of Hockey Operations.
- While exact duties and how everything plays out is above my pay grade, it’s safe to say that you’ll see Keith in town throughout the year. Condors beat writer Mike Griffith, the only person other than Matt Riley who was here during Gretzky’s tenure, had quotes in the Bakersfield Californian yesterday on the new hire.
- David Musil re-signed with the Oilers on Sunday. As I tweeted at the time, defensively, the Condors are fairly well stocked. Some combination of Musil, Jordan Oesterle, Griffin Reinhart, Joey LaLeggia, Mark Fraser, Dillon Simpson, Frankie Simonelli, and Ben Betker would work just fine. Certainly some will be up and down at various points of the season, but I think the group is solid.
- How are the renovations coming? Things are progressing nicely. If you followed the Condors Instagram Story you would have a behind the scenes look.. Thanks to Stinson’s, Carpet Outlet Plus, Jeffrey Lay Painting & City of Bakersfield workers for their hard work making us look good.
- Any of the hockey staff in town? You bet. Tony Borgford and J-F Houle have been in town along with Strength & Conditioning Coach Patrick Love. Asst. Equipment Manager Nick Lazor got back into town from Rochester yesterday and Josh Bennett, Al Oman, and Gerry Fleming are back in town over the next two weeks.
- What did you do over the “staycation?” Golfed mostly. On the cusp of breaking 90. I only picked it up regularly over the past six months or so. Oh and watched the Sox play bad baseball.
- Is the schedule out yet? Nope and stop asking. Or if you want to ask, call San Antonio or Lake Erie and bug them.
- Saw Caleb Jones was at some USA camp this week? He was. He joined the Condors late in the season and could once again play for the Condors this year. The camp was the United States World Junior Championship evaluation camp. In December/January the US will compete in the WJC and hopefully Jones is a part of that team.
Until next time Condorstown…
P.S. the #HoltysBlog bet of the week is for Sergio Garcia (Spain) to win the Olympics golfing event. It starts a week from today, but wanted to get that out there. He’s second on the board at 7-1, but he’s perfect for an international event. If you need a “longshot” – nobody better than Jhonattan Vegas (Venezuela) at 50-1.
Ryan Holt a.k.a. Holty enters his sixth season and third office in Condorstown in 2016-17. He’s going to the Sox game at Chavez Ravine Sunday. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail with blog ideas, comments or suggestions to email@example.com