Big crowds highlight Condors home stand; team starting March in Alaska
Bakersfield is currently 18-36-2-3 with 41 points in the standings. They pulled to within just a pair of wins of the 8th place San Francisco Bulls in the standings, but now sit six points back of the final post-season position.
Thursday, Feb. 28 at Alaska (8:15 p.m., Sullivan Arena)
Friday, Mar. 1 at Alaska (8:15 p.m., Sullivan Arena)
LAST WEEK (Home team in CAPS):
Condors 4 vs. LAS VEGAS 2
Stockton 4 vs. CONDORS 1
Ontario 4 vs. CONDORS 3
Bakersfield opened up the scoring less than two minutes into the game, only to have the Reign reel off three straight to take a commanding lead by the midway point. F Peter Boyd and F Brett Perlini each scored to pull the team within a goal on two different occasions, but Ontario held on for the win.
- F Peter Boyd returned from injury last week, after missing nine games. He led the team with seven shots on Thursday in his return, and had a goal, an assist and a fight on Saturday.
- LW Jacob Lagace has a three-game assist streak, with six assists during the stretch.
- F Francis Verreault is just four assists away from breaking the Condors rookie record for assists in a season. He has 30, while record-holder Matt Pope had 33. Tyler Helfrich and Lars-Peder Nagel are tied for second with 31.
- Thursday’s crowd of 8,023 was the largest weekday (Monday through Thursday) crowd in Condors history, and the second-largest crowd of the season.
- The Condors total attendance of 14,100 fans for two games last week included their best back-to-back crowds of the season.
- G Scott Greenham is 5th in the ECHL with 973 saves.
- G Brian Stewart is 3rd in the ECHL with 1,061 saves.
- Stewart is 5th in the ECHL with 1,816 minutes played.
- F Francis Verreault is tied for 2nd in the ECHL in rookie scoring with 46 points, just three points off the league lead. He is also tied for the rookie lead with 30 assists.
- F Peter Boyd is tied for the ECHL lead with five shootout goals and is tied for the league lead with two shootout game-winners.
- G Scott Greenham is tied for second in the league lead with five shootout wins and is 2nd with a .962 shootout save percentage (the 1st place goalie has faced four shootout attempts).
- F Brett Lyon is 3rd in the ECHL (and leads all rookies) with 17 major penalties. He also ranks 2nd among rookies with 143 penalty minutes.
- The Condors goaltenders rank 2nd in the ECHL in the shootout with a .818 save percentage.
Points – F Francis Verreault (46)
Goals – F Peter Boyd (17)
Assists – F Francis Verreault (30)
PIM – F Brett Lyon (145)
+/- – F Jacob Lagace (+8)
Sv % – G Brian Stewart (.911)
The Condors head to Anchorage for a three-game series this week against the Alaska Aces. They return home for a two-game series against this same Ontario Reign squad.
Friday, Mar. 8 they welcome the ZOOperstars, sponsored by 101.5 KGFM and Dignity Health. On Saturday, Mar. 9 the first 2,000 fans 12 and under will get a dual bobblehead of goaltending tandem Scott Greenham and Brian Stewart, sponsored by Fox Sports 970 AM and Three-Way Chevrolet-Cadillac.
RENEWALS ARE UNDERWAY!