Condors Weekly: Three in three this weekend
The Condors are currently 8-25-1-2 with 19 points in the standings.
Friday, Jan. 11 vs. Idaho (7 p.m.)
Sunday, Jan. 13 at San Francisco (2:15 p.m., Cow Palace)
LAST WEEK (Home team in CAPS):
CONDORS 2 vs. Idaho 1 (SO)
Bakersfield and Idaho met in a classic goaltenders duel Wednesday, with G Scott Greenham and Steelheads G Tyler Beskorowany combining for 99 saves through regulation and the shootout, with the Condors taking a 2-1 victory. F Liam Huculak gave the Condors a 1-0 lead in the third period, while Idaho answered to force extra time. After 17 shootout attempts were denied, D Deron Cousens scored the game winner to end it.
IDAHO 7 vs. Condors 2
Despite out-shooting Idaho 37-35, it was the Steelheads who did most of the lamp-lighting Saturday night in Boise. They rolled out to a 7-0 lead before the Condors could get on the board. Bakersfield scored three of the last four goals, with F Liam Huculak, F Francis Verreault and F Brett Lyon getting on the scoresheet.
- F Liam Huculak, who scored a goal in two of the last three games, announced his intention to retire from hockey on Monday. Huculak is going to pursue other career opportunities.
- F Francis Verreault, F Max Campbell and D Kyle Haines each made their Condors debut in Idaho over the weekend. The trio were acquired in trades last week. D Dale Warkentin debuted with the team last Wednesday.
- Verreault had 2g-1a in the two games in Idaho, and added a “Gordie Howe Hat Trick” on Friday with a goal, assist and a fight.
- Rookie F Brett Lyon scored his first career goal on Saturday.
- G Scott Greenham improved to 25-for-26 in the shootout. His .962 save pct in shootouts is second (only to a goaltender who has faced five shootout attempts) in the league, while his five shootout wins leads the ECHL.
- Greenham is 2-for-2 this season on penalty shots. He stopped his second of the season Saturday night in the third period against C Justin Dowling.
- G Scott Greenham is 4th in the ECHL with 630 saves.
- F Peter Boyd leads the ECHL with five shootout goals.
- F Daniel Koger is 2nd in the ECHL with four shootout goals.
- G Scott Greenham leads the league lead with five shootout wins and is 2nd with a .962 shootout save percentage.
- F Brett Lyon (right) is 3rd among ECHL rookies with nine major penalties.
- F Francis Verreault is 13th in the ECHL in rookie scoring, just eight points off the league lead.
- Verreault is one of only three rookies in the league with multiple shootout goals.
- D Tyson Gimblett leads all ECHL defensemen with ten major penalties (nine of which are fighting majors).
- The Condors rank 3rd in the shootouts with a .846 save percentage.
Points – F Francis Verreault (24)
Goals – F Francis Verreault (9)
Assists – F Francis Verreault (15)
PIM – D Tyson Gimblett (102)
+/- – F Francis Verreault (+8)
Sv % – G Brian Stewart (.896)
The Condors return to home ice against Idaho next week with Computer Tablet Giveaway on Friday, Jan. 11, sponsored by KBAK Eyewitness News and 106.1 KRAB Radio. All fans will have the chance to win one of 20 Kindle Fire tablets we’ll give away.
Dodgers Night, presented by HOT 94.1, is Saturday, Jan. 12. Dodgers Great Maury Wills will sign autographs and pose for pics in the Photo Booth
Sunday’s game starts at 2:15 p.m. as the Condors wrap up their three-in-three weekend action. They return home on Tuesday, Jan. 15 for Canned Food Collection Night, sponsored by My 45, La Preciosa 105.3 and Kern County Farm Bureau. Donate two non-perishable food items and get in to the game for just $1. The food will be donated to the Bakersfield Homeless Center.
Tune in to all the action on Fox Sports Radio 970 AM, www.foxsports970am.com or on America One. “Condors Countdown” hosted by Ryan Holt starts at 11:45 p.m.
SAVE MONEY WITH A FUN 4-PACK-FREE SNUGGIES!!!!
Get your Condors ticket plan, become a season ticket holder, and enjoy all the great benefits of being in Condorstown, including saving big money on your tickets.
Getting in on the action with a Condors Fun 4-Pack is the perfect way to start the New Year right. Starting at just $32, if you purchase two Fun 4-Packs you get free Condors Snuggie!!
Check out the plan to fit your needs by clicking here or calling 324-PUCK (7825).