https://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/NeedtoKnowVol7.jpg 380 669 condors /_media/logo_1819.png condors2015-05-26 10:45:442015-05-26 11:04:29Five things you need to know – Vol. 7
CONDORSTOWN, Calif. – The Bakersfield Condors, owned by the Edmonton Oilers, are set for the American Hockey League (AHL) in 2015-16. Throughout the offseason, the team will give you a “What you need to know” synopsis around the world of hockey.
1. BARONS SEASON ENDS IN GAME 7; PLAYERS SAY GOODBYE
- The Oklahoma City Barons season ended in Game 7 after falling to the Utica Comets, 1-0on Wednesday. Oklahoma City reached the playoffs in each of their five seasons and reached the Western Conference Finals on two occasions.
- Head Coach Gerry Fleming said after the loss, “it’s sad to be leaving such a tremendous city, but we’re going to a city (Bakersfield) that’s eagerly awaiting our arrival.”
- The Oilers took out a full one-page “thank you” ad on the right in the Oklahoma City newspaper, thanking them for their support.
- Many players gave exit interviews after returning home. Click here for more.
- Oilers prospects / rookies will once again take part in the Penticton Young Stars Classic in September against Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Calgary. Many players from this pre-season tournament will end up in Bakersfield this season.
2. MEMORIAL CUP UNDERWAY; OILERS PROSPECTS TAKE CENTER STAGE
- Oilers 2014 1st round (#3 overall) draft pick C Leon Draisaitl had two goals and an assist as the Kelowna Rockets beat the Rimouski Oceanic last night 7-3 to even their record at 1-1. He has four points (3g-1a) in the two games. Kelowna wraps up round robin play tonight against Oshawa.
- Oilers 2013 2nd round (#56 overall) draft pick C Marco Roy has three points (0g-3a) in two games as the Quebec Remparts are 1-1. Quebec plays Rimouski tomorrow night and can eliminate the Oceanic with a win.
- Many Memorial Cup games are on the NHL Network in the U.S., check local listings.
3. DUCKS TAKE SERIES LEAD; TAMPA BAY LOOKS TO ADVANCE
- The Anaheim Ducks survived with a 5-4 overtime win last night in Game 5 against the Chicago Blackhawks. Chicago erased a 4-2 deficit in the final two minutes to force overtime. Game 6 in Chicago is Wednesday night (5 p.m. / NBCSN) with the Ducks looking to close out the series.
- Tonight, the Tampa Bay Lightning can advance to the Stanley Cup Final as they host Game 6 against the New York Rangers (5 p.m. / NBCSN)
4. CORMIER WINS UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
- Not hockey related? Think again. UFC Light Heavyweight Daniel Cormier submitted
Anthony Johnson over the weekend at UFC 187 to become champion.
- Cormier, who makes his home in San Jose, has been to Condorstown each of the past two seasons to sign autographs, take pictures, and put on demonstrations with local fighters during intermissions.
- Two seasons ago, the Condors game he attended was never actually played due to inclement weather. However, “DC” still greeted everyone in attendance and even got the opportunity to meet the team down in the locker room.
5. THE FINAL FOUR
- The AHL and ECHL are down to their Final Four:
- AHL: Western Conference: Grand Rapids / Utica (Series tied, 1-1)
- Eastern Conference: Manchester / Hartford (MCH leads, 2-0)
- ECHL: Western Conference: Ontario / Allen (ONT leads, 3-2)
- Eastern Conference: South Carolina / Toledo (SC leads, 3-2)
AHL CONDORS MEMBERSHIPS NOW AVAILABLE!
Be part of history as the Condors move to the American Hockey League in 2015-16. Memberships begin for less than $17/month. contact the Condors at 324-PUCK (7825) or click here for more information.