After four consecutive wins sandwiched around the All-Star break, the Condors dropped back-to-back to San Diego and Ontario the past two nights. With an off day today, it’s back to work on the weekend for another back-to-back against San Jose and San Diego. Just 26 games remain in the regular season and the Condors are a manageable four points back of Tucson for the final playoff spot, but the Roadrunners now have two games in hand.
Just root against Tucson. All the time. No matter what. They’re in Texas on Friday.
You may want to root against more than one team, and that’s fine, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want…
– The team up the 99 is also in the mix despite having dropped six straight. Bakersfield plays them five more times this season though, so that will sort itself out in the head-to-head.
– Last night was one of those games where I felt the Condors were going to steal it late. They got the early goal in the third and pressured throughout, but could not come through on a late power play. I don’t have the numbers, but early on, Ontario dominated the face-off circle which led to the opening goal of the game directly and allowed Ontario to control the pace.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) February 9, 2017
– Winger Jesse Puljujarvi scored in both games this week and now has 10 points (4g-6a) in 13 games. Paul Gazzola had a story on him with some good comments from fellow countryman Iiro Pakarinen. Read it here.
– The Roadrunners play 11 of their next 14 on the road before Bakersfield heads to Arizona in mid-March. The Condors have five of their next seven at home and then the road trip to Charlotte to begin March.
– Tip A Condor is quickly approaching on Tuesday, Feb. 21 at Temblor. Tickets can be purchase in the Condors online team store (here), in the front office, or at an upcoming game at the Shriners table. Players will serve as waiters and bartenders. It’s casual, it’s fun, there are great items for auction and you should be there.
– Edmonton gets back to work on Saturday following their mandated bye week this week. Would anticipate the Condors to lose someone between now and then, because Edmonton technically went short by sending guys down this week during the time off.
– Condors Unleashed returns on Tuesday from 2-3 p.m. on Bakersfield.com. We’ll have shows each of the next two Tuesdays and then on March 21.
– Yesterday was the four year anniversary of Queen Victoria becoming a viral sensation. Nowadays, a video goes viral every day. Back then if something had staying power, it was typically hysterical and with over 100,000 views yesterday alone, the video certainly has some longevity.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) February 8, 2017
– Lock of the week? I know I said root against the Roadrunners, but not here in Bakersfield tonight. Try as I might, I couldn’t find a line on CSUB v. New Mexico State tonight. But, Rod Barnes is a friend of the program and although the game doesn’t mean much in terms of the ultimate goal of getting to the NCAA tournament, let’s set them as the lock of the week tonight. High-scoring game. 91-85.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt a.k.a. Holty is the Voice of the Condors in his sixth season. While he enjoys 75-degree weather in Condorstown, Boston is under a blizzard alert so he’s enjoying life. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail with questions, comments, or blog ideas to email@example.com