I wanted to write the blog earlier, but my ears were still ringing from all the kids at the game today.
You may want my ears to ring and that’s fine, but I can’t write a blog like that and as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
– Can’t write today’s blog without mentioning the insane attendance numbers in Condorstown the past two games. After 8,862 came for a record Teddy Bear Toss, 8,990 filed in for today’s Field Trip Day. Most were kids, some were at their first game, and what a great couple of games to take in.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) November 30, 2017
– Back to Teddy Bear Toss, thanks to everyone who threw a record amount of Teddy Bears on the ice. We had coverage on ESPN, NBC Sports, and this interview below with goal scorer Brad Malone and the NHL Network crew.
– Speaking of Bugsy, he’s returned from Edmonton refreshed and has five points in the three games, including goals in two straight
Teddy Bear Toss from inside the net? Teddy Bear Toss from inside the net!
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) November 26, 2017
– Bakersfield has yet to play San Jose and has played four games combined against Texas, Ontario, and San Diego. Over 36% of the schedule has played against the team up the 99. That’s too much and I’m not just saying that because of the Condors record against the Heat.
– On the schedule, San Antonio hasn’t played Tucson nor Stockton (the other top teams) and has played Texas+Central Division a combined 11 times
– Tucson just played Stockton for the first time this past weekend and has played the Central Division seven times.
– My point is, I think in the past two seasons, California teams benefited from strong Grand Rapids and Chicago type Central teams, but those teams appear to be down this season, and improved San Antonio and Texas teams are taking advantage
– Jon Gillies struggled against the Condors last season, but his 4-0-0, 1.00 GAA, and .971 save percentage this season is something else.
– RW Ty Rattie is also having a tremendous year. 14 points (7g-7a) in his last 12 games including an assist this morning.
– Nick Ellis is going to get an extended look in Edmonton it appears. Cam Talbot is out for at least two weeks meaning Eddie Pasquale will take over for the majority of the games upcoming in Condorstown.
“He came home & played but didn’t feel right. We don’t think he’ll be available for at least two weeks. It could be longer.” Coach McLellan on @ctalbot33‘s injury
— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) November 30, 2017
– Bakersfield also received Shane Starrett from Wichita. Starrett had two good seasons at the Air Force Academy and signed with the Oilers last Spring. I would expect he makes his AHL debut somewhere over the next two weeks. Bakersfield has a quick turnaround with the game tomorrow night, Sunday afternoon, and then a flight to San Antonio for the game Tuesday.
— Wichita Thunder (@Wichita_Thunder) November 30, 2017
– LOCK OF THE WEEK? I’ll give you the five best bets this Sunday. Arizona (+7) v LAR, Chargers (-14) v CLE, Green Bay (-2) v TB, Philadelphia (-5.5) @ Seattle, and New Orleans (-4.5) v CAR
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt aka Holty is in his 7th season as Voice of the Condors. He may or may not have eaten two Uncrustable PB&J’s today. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to RHolt@BakersfieldCondors.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.