I promise to you, loyal friends of the blog, that this is the final week without much content. That’s not to say we don’t have a good blog in store for you today, it’s just that the next few weeks will be filled with plenty of items to dissect. Just take a look at the upcoming schedule:
- June 17: Some of Condorstown leaves for AHL League Meetings
- June 18: Vegas Expansion Draft Protection Lists released to public
- June 18 – 21: Vegas can sign any unrestricted free agents and any unprotected (except the exempt ones) restricted free agents
- June 21: NHL Awards and Vegas announces their team
- June 22: Holty Sabbatical
- June 23-24: NHL Draft
- July 1: Free agency begins
There may even be another announcement related to the Condors in that time frame. #HoltyTease
You may not know why number five is included in that list, and that’s fine, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog, and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
– We’ll talk more about the Expansion Draft process next week leading up to the release of the protected lists, but for now you can read up on all you ever wanted to know about it by clicking here
– Basically, Vegas gets an option for at least a player from every NHL team. Meaning, a former Condor could be headed to the Golden Knights.
– Will you blog during your sabbatical? Of course.
– Remember last Thursday when I said people offering hot takes on Nashville should “come back in off the ledge?” If you don’t, here’s the link. Like I said, it’s not a series until the home team loses. Holty’s soft lock of the week? Pittsburgh wins tonight, Nashville wins Sunday, and we get a Game 7 next Wednesday.
– Patrick Russell was profiled this week on BakersfieldCondors.com as part of the daily content during the offseason on the site. It’s no secret the Condors will probably be without their three top producers last year in terms of points (Lander, Beck, Fontaine) and the next two in line Joey LaLeggia (restricted free agent) and Josh Currie (AHL free agent) need new deals if they are to return to the organization. Russell will have to be one of a group of guys to take a step forward next season and play a bigger role. His shot totals suggest that could be the case.
– Any thoughts on the Calder Cup Finals? Former Condor Matt Ford is having a nice postseason with 11 points (7g-4a) in 16 games, but Syracuse refuses to lose at home (now 10-0), so my guess is the series at minimum gets back to West Michigan.
– You really get the sense of the history of the league and how long the AHL has been around when you read the following tweet. 1938!
— AHL Communications (@AHLPR) June 8, 2017
– A few of us continue the offseason charity golf tournament circuit tomorrow for the Mercy Charity Golf Classic at Stockdale Country Club. The event benefits one of our longest, and biggest supporters Dignity Health so I’m looking forward to it.
– You’re really just looking forward to the food right? Not quite, but it is an early 7:30 a.m. start with breakfast so that’s a nice twist. I’d much prefer a breakfast over a dinner any day if I’m being picky.
– We’re also planning many of the different things associated with the 20th year of Condors hockey. Everyone loves celebrating anniversaries and everyone loves brackets, so there will be plenty of those in the coming months. Just make sure you download the app.
– Lock of the week? Three weeks ago, when we held our office drawing for Preakness horses, I gave the summary “Cloud Computing is the fastest horse in the race.” All around good guy in the office, Corey Travers, took it to heart and it paid off in a big way for him. So let’s stick with it this weekend at the Belmont. Here are some trends to consider:
– Only one favorite has won since 2005
– Four of the last 10 winners had not raced in the previous two Triple Crown races
– 11 of the last 17 winners have been larger than 10-1 odds
– Late closers don’t win the Belmont
With that and knowing the Belmont is a crap shoot that can pay, your $2 official Holty exacta ticket is: (9) Meantime over (1) Twisted Tom and (2) Tapwrit
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt aka Holty is the Voice of the Condors and enters his 7th season in Condorstown this year. Anyone who prefers the sausage links to the breakfast sausage patties is wrong. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to RHolt@bakersfieldcondors.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.