HOLTY’S BLOG: OFF AND RUNNING
We’re off and running in Condorstown. 29 guys were on the ice for a scrimmage earlier today (Greg Chase had the overtime game-winner) with three more (Laurent Brossoit, Jordan Oesterele, and Dillon Simpson) due in next week.
I normally don’t only talk hockey in the blog, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want. Today is a hockey blog.
Now for the blog…
– Lots of content this week. We’ve sat down with Mark Fraser, Joey Benik, Nick Ellis, Taylor Beck, and Jujhar Khaira thus far with today’s training camp report below.
– Goaltender Laurent Brossoit was assigned yesterday. His image is on the front windows of the arena, so a positive that we don’t have to change that out. Don’t think it’s a secret that when he’s here, he’s going to get the majority of the starts. I think if he’s here a full season, it’s not out of the realm of possibility to see him get 50-53 starts.
– How about the battle for the other goaltending spot? That comes down rookie Nick Ellis or second year Condor Eetu Laurikainen. Each will get a game this weekend and as Gerry Fleming said earlier this week, both have looked sharp in Edmonton and in Bakersfield.
– Simpson and Oesterle assigned … team looks set defensively huh? I think this is one area the coaching staff has to be excited about this season. With Simpson and Oesterle joining the likes of Joey LaLeggia, David Musil, and Fraser, there is a nice balance. That leaves two or three spots open back there, with the Oilers likely cutting one more d-man before NHL rosters are due next Tuesday.
– Two Oilers forwards (Iiro Pakarinen & Matt Hendricks) were injured recently, how does that affect the Condors? While Pakarinen and Hendricks were described as “weeks away,” in the short term it certainly changes who may have started the season in Bakersfield. Oilers likely only have to trim down one forward position whereas had they been fully healthy, it might have been two or three forwards.
– The injuries certainly give a boosted role to a center like Kyle Platzer, who has played with Ryan Hamilton mostly during camp thus far. Khaira played with veteran winger Taylor Beck on his right side today, and if Tyler Pitlick and/or Anton Slepyshev start the season in Edmonton, I would expect those two to play together.
– When can I pick up my tickets? Members can pick up tickets/gifts beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Friday and at 3 p.m. on Saturday. The Chalk Talk in the Bank Room will feature the Condors coaching staff, select players, and Edmonton Oilers Asst. GM Keith Gretzky. Single game tickets go on sale Saturday.
– Lock of the week? Wazzu won last week in convincing fashion, meaning the locks of the week continue to stay red hot. The Red Sox are +500 to win the World Series. They say don’t bet with your heart, but that’s too good to pass up. I’m still going in the Survivor Pool too, so let’s look there too. I think it’s a toss up between Oakland and Minnesota for my pick this week. Let’s go for Oakland. That’s a fun team.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt a.k.a. Holty enters his sixth season as Voice of the Condors this year. He’s going to be an uncle soon. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an email to email@example.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.