CONDORSTOWN, Calif. – The Bakersfield Condors are proud to announce that RW Matthew Ford has been named the Condors’ winner of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Condorstown community during the 2015-16 season.
FORD – a leader in the community
- One of the leaders of the “Condors Comrades” program which pairs Condors players with athletes from the Special Olympics of Kern County through various events including a pizza party, bowling, and jersey fundraiser throughout the year
- Organized regular visits to the pediatric wing of Bakersfield Memorial Hospital for himself and teammates to spend time with children in need
- Ford and teammates play games with the kids, colors, and spends time learning about their lives all while putting a smile on their faces
- Driving force behind “Cookin’ with the Condors,” a cookbook now on sale at home games featuring team recipes with proceeds benefiting the Condors Community Foundation and Condors Comrades partnership with the Special Olympics of Kern County
- Assisted the Salvation Army’s bell-ringing efforts during the Christmas season, helping raise money for the less fortunate
- One of the top “tip getters” as a waiter during the team’s annual Tip-A-Condor which benefited the Kern County Shrine Club for children
- Second “Man of the Year” honor for Ford, who was named the Oklahoma City Barons’ Man of the Year in 2014-15
The Condors return home this weekend for two big promotions. Friday, Apr. 1 against San Jose is Team Card Set Giveaway, sponsored by My 45 KiX 92.1 and Rabobank. The first 2,000 fans 5 and older get a set of cards from the team’s inaugural AHL campaign.