Next week is September which means training camps and preseason games. Aside from looking at the calendar, a pure sign that hockey season is near is @KevinBartl questioning if I’m doing work. The blog is work. To deliver this non-award winning content every week isn’t easy folks.
You may like your boss, and that’s fine, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
– We’ve promised a jersey bracket for a few weeks now and lo and behold, HERE IT IS. It’s glorious. Four regions broken down into eight matchups, March Madness style and with each of the regions given a title of a Condors specialty jersey.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) August 24, 2017
– Who will win? I haven’t a clue. The Puffy Shirt jersey is still my favorite jersey we’ve ever done in my time here, so I’ll go with that.
– The bracket is one of a few things you can view in “The Hub of the 20th Anniversary” page on the website. It has quizzes, reflections, pictures and more. Throughout the year it will be updated with more and more content as we dig into the archives.
– Late last week, I caught up with Gerry Fleming to pick his brain on a few topics.
– In case you’re wondering when Gerry talks about Time on Ice, it is not required to be kept in the AHL. Every team does so and we have some great volunteers that help us with it, but having an extra full time member to break down that video and TOI even further as quickly as possible is going to be a great resource. For a player to have his shifts and able to view them effortlessly in game is a good thing.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) August 17, 2017
– I think the depth talk is important to note as well. Adding Callahan, Rattie, Malone especially into the mix up front will help in case of injuries or someone outperforming where they may have been initially pegged
– Rattie was profiled in this week’s player profile. Don’t let last year fool you. He was in St. Louis for the first half of the year as their extra forward and it really stunted his year. He’s a 25-30 goal scorer if here all season
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) August 22, 2017
– On a more lighthearted note, Gerry’s Five Fast Facts with @PrezRiles is pretty funny.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) August 18, 2017
LOCK OF THE WEEK? As I told good friend of the blog @Joe_Babik I honestly have zero interest in this gimmick fight on Saturday. Boxing has been rigged for a long time and I swore off watching another one ever since Bradley-Pacquiao. That said, I just don’t see how Mayweather loses this fight.
A return loss that’s now a lock of the week – I’m taking back a win for Daniel Cormier a few weeks back since Jon Jones tested positive for steroids this week.
Ryan Holt aka Holty is in his seventh season with the Condors. He’s moved into a condo and he firmly intends to be at the pool, the clubhouse, and all over that shuffleboard court. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to RHolt@bakersfieldcondors.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.