Some might be wondering why this week’s blog came out on a Friday and to be honest, I have no good reason. Friend of the blog, @Joe_Babik, asked me yesterday afternoon where the blog was, and truthfully, I had simply forgot.
Maybe I didn’t want to compete head-to-head with opening night in the NFL? Yeah, let’s go with that.
You may only read Thursday blogs. And that’s fine. But as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog, and I’ll do what I want. And if I write a blog on Friday forget to write a blog on Thursday, then I’ll do that.
Now for the blog…
- Completely unbiased opinion here, but how great are the Condors new third jerseys? Got a couple texts from players who said “sharp” and “Nice. Real nice.” They’re on sale in the team store and in stock now.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) September 8, 2016
- Holty, some NHL teams announce a schedule of when a third jersey will be worn, why didn’t the Condors? Great question, fictitious friend of the blog. Let me take you on the inside for a moment. Out in the West, teams fly. So, if the Condors wanted to wear orange jerseys on all Saturday games hypothetically, we would need to make sure that whoever Saturday’s opponent is, has the appropriate set of jerseys with them. If the opponent is in say San Jose the night before, then San Jose would have to switch to a dark jersey for that game, so that our opponent on Saturday night only had to bring a white jersey with them on the road. Otherwise you’d have to bring multiple sets of jerseys on the road, which means multiple sets of socks, which means multiple sets of helmets, which means more bags and well you get the drift.
- Long story short … we’ll wear the orange jerseys often. Probably even on the road too.
- Saw something about some players switching numbers? It’s true. Working on the bios and roster notes for this season with some potential Condors having some different numbers. Joey LaLeggia would go from 13 to 17; Dillon Simpson from 18 to 3; Josh Currie from 36 to 18; and Griffin Reinhart from 2 to 8. Again, that’s all dependent on if they get to Bakersfield.
- Coaches depart for Edmonton on Sunday, but you might bump into them at Village Fest on Saturday in the Condors area. They’ll be with the Oilers at rookie camp, in Penticton for the Young Stars tournament, and then back in Edmonton for main camp and the preseason.
- This World Cup of Hockey interest you? Not particularly, but hey, competitive hockey is competitive hockey and that’s reason enough to watch. Bet of the tournament is Team North America getting +1200. I’d look there and at Finland +1100. Finland always seems to do well internationally.
- Locks of the week? College football is awful this week. Holy Cross +1 ½ @ #24 New Hampshire and over 52 ½ for sure. Life’s too short to be the unders.
- Super Bowl picks? Call me a homer, but I think your Super Bowl is NBC’s Sunday Night Football game. Patriots over Cardinals (not on Sunday, but in February).
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt a.k.a. Holty enters his sixth season in Condorstown in 2016-17. He always says he’ll work ahead and be prepared for the season, but that’s never the case. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for other nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, comments, or blog ideas.