Can you believe next week is August? I know I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but the offseason goes by quicker and quicker every year. However, last year we were still full bore into Outdoor Classic planning at this point and were still a month away from the schedule and the game announcement being released. So we’re ahead of the game I think.
You may think we’re planning something like that again this year and you’d be crazy, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
– Want to take you back to last week when I openly nominated Ryan Hamilton for the Canadian Olympic Team in February. We have developments on the situation that have further clarified the matter at hand.
– So there are two pre-Olympics warmup type ‘tournaments’ and Canada has revealed a preliminary list of players. They’re all Canadians playing in Europe and a few former Condors: Taylor Beck, Rob Klinkhammer, and Ben Scrivens are on one of the two squads.
– Basically throw those two rosters in with the handful of AHL contracts and potentially some college or junior players and that’s what you’re looking at for Team Canada
– This week’s player profile is on Mitch Callahan, who hails from Whittier, CA outside of Los Angeles. No guarantees he is here in Bakersfield, but has a very good and consistent AHL resume
He’s going (going) back (back) to Cali (Cali)
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) July 25, 2017
– Looking at what other teams are doing around the AHL, we start in Tucson where they hired an entirely new coaching staff
— Tucson Roadrunners (@RoadrunnersAHL) July 27, 2017
– Ontario has a new assistant coach, David Bell, who played for the Condors in 2002-03, to replace the Chris Hajt who left for Buffalo
– Belleville has a logo finally …. Meh. Binghamton still hasn’t revealed a logo. I’m sure they’ll have one by Opening Night.
– In the, “What are the players up to?” portion of the blog …. Recent signing Yohann Auvitu is climbing on a Portuguese island off the northwest coast of Africa.
– Patrick Russell was taking a dip in Bali, Indonesia
– Ethan Bear received honors for his achievements during the Assembly of First Nations
– And Ben Betker worked on his cornhole bag toss recently outside of Vancouver.
– Sidenote, how about this note on cornhole? They’ll televise anything nowadays.
ESPN’s cornhole broadcast beat MLB on Fox and TBS, the WNBA all-star game, and the Tour de France final stage: https://t.co/YtgB4rfmkZ
— Awful Announcing (@awfulannouncing) July 26, 2017
– Lock of the week? Friend of Condorstown and UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier is in action this weekend against Jon Jones at UFC 214 in Anaheim. Despite being the champ, he’s actually an underdog. If this fight goes off (it’s been canceled in the past because Jones has had issues), I’m taking Cormier +210 (that’s better than 2-1 odds)
– DOUBLE LOCK OF THE WEEK! I don’t think this has been done before. If it has, don’t @ me. But, our other friend of Condorstown Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone is on the card this weekend too. He’s +130 underdog against Robbie Lawler. I smell a Condorstown parlay.
— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) January 9, 2016
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt aka Holty is the voice of the Condors and enters his 7th season this year. He’ll take crinkle cut french fries over any other kind any day of the week. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty for more nonsense or shoot him an e-mail to RHolt@bakersfieldcondors.com with questions, comments, or blog ideas.