https://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Lagesson.jpg 300 600 condors https://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/BAK-Website-Header_2324.png condors2016-05-31 12:02:082016-05-31 12:02:08NEED TO KNOW: Watch the Calder Cup for Free
CONDORSTOWN, Calif. – Every Monday, the Condors will give you what you need to know about Condorstown and the world of hockey for the upcoming week. OK, today is Tuesday, but yesterday was a holiday, so cut us some slack!
HERSHEY v. LAKE ERIE FOR THE CALDER CUP
- Hershey advanced to the Calder Cup Finals with a Game 5 win over Toronto on Sunday. You can watch the entire series free on AHL Live using the access code above with Game 1 on Wednesday at 4 p.m.
- The Bears are led by former Condors coaches Troy Mann & Ryan Murphy along with longtime d-man Erik Burgdoerfer
- Hershey and Cleveland (Lake Erie) have met three times in the Calder Cup Finals, but well before the age of color television: 1940, 1945, and 1954
PENS TAKE GAME 1; NEARLY THEIR ENTIRE TEAM PLAYED IN THE AHL
- A remarkable 23 of the 25 players on the Pittsburgh Penguins played in the AHL; On the other side San Jose has graduated 18 of their 23 players from the AHL
- This season, nearly 90% of all players in the NHL played in the AHL and 142 AHL graduates made their NHL debut this season including Condors C Jujhar Khaira
- Game 2 of the series is Wednesday at 5 p.m. on NBCSN
FORMER CONDOR MAKES PROFESSIONAL SOCCER DEBUT
- Former Condors Community Relations Manager Erica Shelton (2014-15) made her professional soccer debut for Seattle Reign FC against Arsenal (London) Ladies Football Club
- She came on for the second half as the teams drew 1-1 in the first-ever match between a club from the National Women’s Soccer League and the FA (England) Women’s Soccer League
- Shelton was a four-year member of the Stockdale High soccer team before playing four years at the college level for UC-Santa Barbara and CSU-Bakersfield
THE MIXED BAG: QUICK HITS THAT YOU CAN TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT
- Former Oilers prospect Mark Arcobello signed with Bern in the Swiss League; he spent this past season with the Toronto Marlies
- Other notable signings from the Pacific Division include San Jose Barracuda veteran Bryan Lerg who signed with Rogle in Sweden; the Condors/Oilers player tracker remains unchanged from last week
- Player profile: Joey LaLeggia
- 2014 NHL Draft picks must be signed by tomorrow (June 1) or they are free to re-enter the draft for the season (or become an unrestricted free agent); the Oilers highest unsigned pick from that draft is D William Lagesson (4th round; 91st overall) who just finished his freshman season at UMass-Amherst and represented his native Sweden at the World Junior Hockey Championships
- Coaching updates: Manitoba hired Winnipeg Jets assistant coach Pascal Vincent as their new head coach; Charlotte hired New York Rangers assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson to be their next bench boss. That leaves Binghamton, Providence, San Antonio, Springfield, and Tucson without head coaches for next season
FIELD TRIP DAY – LOWER BOWL FILLS UP – BOOK NOW!
Everyone’s favorite field trip, the Condors annual Field Trip Educational Day, will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at 10:30 a.m. Commit your school or class today by calling 324-PUCK (7825). The day includes educational themed games, a take-home booklet, a nutritious lunch, and plenty of fun for all ages! Don’t wait until school starts up in the fall to book your classroom or school today!