The #HoltySabbatical has come to an end folks. It was a good run in Boston over the past two weeks and I’m looking forward to getting back for my brother’s wedding in September just before training camp opens up.
But until then, there is plenty of work to be done, and plenty that went on over the last two weeks. As friend of the blog and the King of Condorstown Justin Fahsbender would say, “i’m just trying to get caught up on things.” Normally the blog is a bunch of nonsense, but this one is hopefully useful to at least one of you out there. If it’s not, sorry, but as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
- The Condors signed veteran F Matt Ford and former Condor/Baron F Josh Winquist while I was away. Ford gives the Condors a proven AHL player up front and as I tweeted, I’m excited to see what Winquist can do in his second year.
- A new NHL-caliber glass system was installed at Rabobank Arena. It rattles and will bring an added element of excitement on big hits into the boards.
- The AHL announced that the Condors will play 68 games this season, along with the four other California teams, while the rest of the league will play 76. Why? People above my pay grade made that decision. I go where I’m told to go, when I’m told to go.
- The bigger news though out of the AHL Board of Governors announcement was that the 5-minute overtime will now be 3-on-3 and there will be a coach’s challenge with video review. Those are two differences from last season. 3-on-3 OT will certainly be exciting.
- Oh and I suppose we did reveal our jerseys while I was away. We’ll still have our standard specialty jerseys (one of which started the design process today), but the primaries are fantastic. Including the secondary logo, which yes, must be crude oil. You can purchase merchandise and pre-order jerseys in the team store online.
- Walls are going up in the locker room area, which is a good sign.
- Tickets are on sale to the public for the Kings / Coyotes preseason game on Sept. 21.
- The Edmonton Oilers signed d-man Brandon Davidson today. He spent the majority of last season in the AHL with Oklahoma City and could be someone you see suited up for some in Bakersfield this season.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt enters his 5th season in Condorstown. Tweet to him @CondorsHolty or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for blog ideas.