Condors stay hot, sweep weekend homestand
Bakersfield, Calif. – The Bakersfield Condors picked up two straight victories on home ice to compile a 2-1-0-0 record for the week. The Condors are now 20-16-1-0 this season and are second in the Pacific Division, six points out of first place, which is held by Las Vegas.
THIS WEEK (ALL TIMES PACIFIC):
Wednesday, Jan. 19 @ Ontario (7 p.m.)
Friday, Jan. 21 @ Las Vegas (7:05 p.m.)
Saturday, Jan. 22 @ Las Vegas (7:05 p.m.)
Sunday, Jan. 23 @ Las Vegas (2:05 p.m.)
WEEK IN REVIEW (Home team in CAPS):
Wednesday, Jan. 12
STOCKTON 5 vs. Condors 3
The Condors jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period, as F Slava Trukhno and C Pete Zingoni both scored for Bakersfield. Stockton erased the deficit in the second with two goals from LW Jarrett Konkle, who then completed the natural hat trick halfway through the third to put Stockton up 3-2. LW Brad Snetsinger answered 17 seconds later, but Stockton got two final goals, including an empty netter, to prevail 5-3.
Friday, Jan. 14
CONDORS 2 vs. Alaska 1
F Bobby Robins got the scoring stared just 2:01 into the game, when he notched a power play marker putting Bakersfield up 1-0. After an early first intermission was called due to shattered glass, Alaska tied the game at one as D Chad Anderson notched a power play goal before the end of the first period. D Evan Stoflet snapped the tie with 2:37 left to play, as the Condors won 2-1. G Brian Stewart (right) made a season high 46 saves including 20 in the third period to earn the win.
Saturday, Jan. 15
CONDORS 5 vs. Ontario 4, SO
C Pete Zingoni, RW Stephane Goulet, and D J.F. David all scored first period goals for Bakersfield, earning a 3-0 lead after the first period. Ontario answered with three of their own in the second, getting goals from D David Walker, C Aaron Lewadniuk, and C Michael Pelech as the game went tied at 3-3 into the third. D Shawn Germain put Ontario ahead with only 2:47 to play, but Zingoni scored his second goal of the night with 46 seconds left, and the goaltender pulled for an extra attacker, to the send the game into overtime. The Condors eventually prevailed in the shootout, scoring on 3 of their 4 shots while G Peter Hirsch saved 3 of 4 Reign attempts.
PLAYER AND TEAM NOTES:
- C Pete Zingoni has scored in each of the last five games he has played with Bakersfield, picking up 7 goals in that time. He has 6g-3a-9pts in four goals since being reassigned to the Condors on Jan. 6.
- G Brian Stewart stopped 46 shots in the 2-1 win over Alaska on Friday. It was the most saves in a single game for a Condors goalie since Yutaka Fukufuji stopped 46 shots in a 4-1 win on March 31, 2008.
- The Condors are 7-1-0-0 at home against divisional opponents this season.
- Bakersfield has been involved in three shootouts this season, coming away with victories in all of them. They have allowed only three goals in those games, saving 76.9% of opportunities against. The Condors have scored on 8 of their 14 shots, converting at a rate of 51.8%.
- Bakersfield opponents have been awarded 5 penalty shots this year. The only goal in those chances was scored by Ontario C Aaron Lewadniuk on Dec. 18. The Condors have yet to have a penalty shot this season.
- F Michael Gergen leads the ECHL with 4 shootout goals. He is 2-for-2 with the Condors.
- The Condors are 3rd in the ECHL with 786 PIM.
- The Condors are 5th in the ECHL in average attendance, with an average of 4,972 fans per game.
- Bakersfield has four players currently on the IR. C Rylan Kaip and LW J.D. Corbin are both on the 21-day IR. D Erik Burgdoerfer has been transferred to the 7-day IR and D Joe Rullier has been placed on the 3-day IR, both are eligible to return on Thursday.
Tuesday, Jan. 18 – Practice, Ice Sports Center @ 10 a.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 19 – Practice, Ice Sports Center @ 10 a.m., Game @ Ontario, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 20 – Practice, Orleans Arena (Las Vegas) @ 12 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 21 – Game @ Las Vegas, 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 22 – Game @ Las Vegas, 7:05 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 23 – Game @ Las Vegas, 2:05 p.m.
Monday, Jan. 24 – Day Off
ON THE DOCKET:
The Condors play four straight games on the road before coming back to Condorstown to host the 2011 ECHL All-Star Classic and the ECHL All-Stars on Wednesday, Jan. 26. Bakersfield begins the road trip on Wednesday, when they head to Ontario for a 7 p.m. game. That game is followed up with three games in Las Vegas on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday and Saturday’s games start at 7:05 p.m., and Sunday’s game will begin at 2:05 p.m.
All four games this week can be heard online at foxsports970am.com, and on your smartphone through the iheartradio app. You can also watch the games streaming live through America One. Wednesday’s game will be aired on Fox Sports Radio 970 AM following the Los Angeles Lakers game, which starts at 6 p.m. from Dallas. Both Saturday and Sunday’s game will also be aired on Fox Sports 970 AM.
CONDORS LEAGUE LEADERS:
RW Pascal Morency (right) – 25% shooting percentage (1st, ECHL)
C Rylan Kaip – 24.2% shooting percentage (4th, ECHL)
RW Erick Lizon – 124 PIM (2nd, ECHL)
RW Erick Lizon – 10 major penalties (3rd, ECHL)
LW Brad Snetsinger – 136 Shots (t-4th, ECHL)
F Michael Gergen – 4 shootout goals (1st, ECHL)
G Josh Tordjman – 689 Saves (5th, ECHL)
G Josh Tordjman – 13 Wins (5th, ECHL)
G Josh Tordjman – .921 Save % (t-2nd, ECHL)
G Josh Tordjman – 2 Shutouts (t-5th, ECHL)
Condors – 786 PIM (3rd, ECHL)
Condors – 42 major penalties (3rd, ECHL)
Points – LW Brad Snetsinger (31)
Goals – RW Stephane Goulet (13)
Assists –F Slava Trukhno (20)
PIM – RW Erick Lizon (124)
Plus/Minus – D Evan Stoflet (+11)
GAA – G Josh Tordjman (2.57)
Wins – G Josh Tordjman (13)
Save Percentage – G Josh Tordjman (.921)
Individual tickets are on sale now through Ticketmaster and the Rabobank Arena Box Office. Box Office hours are 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday – Friday, and 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Saturday, with extended hours on game and event days. You can also call Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000 or visit them online at www.ticketmaster.com. Ticket packages start at just $31! Call the Condors office at 324-PUCK (7825) or go online to www.bakersfieldcondors.com for more information.
Tickets for the 2011 ECHL All-Star Classic, to be held in Bakersfield on Jan. 26, 2011, are on sale now. Visit www.echlallstarclassic.com for further details on the event. Call the Condors office at 324-PUCK (7825) or go online to www.bakersfieldcondors.com for more information.