Ever since the move to the AHL, I’ve enjoyed reading Elliotte Friedman’s “30 Thoughts,” mostly because they’re relative to things happening either with or around the Condors and the AHL.
I don’t know if I’ll get 30 Thoughts here, but we’ll see. For now we’ll call it “Loose Change w/Holty.” And as I’ll remind you, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want.
Now for the blog…
- Did you place my Preakness tickets last week? If you did, you would have spent $36 and you would have won $234 ($2 Exacta (5-1) – $88.40 /$2 Trifecta (5-1-3) – $146). Don’t tell me it doesn’t pay to read the blog!
- Erik Burgdoerfer had an assist and was +3 last night as Hershey trounced Toronto, 8-2, and took a 3-0 series lead. He was the only Condor to score in a 4-1 Game 6 WCF loss, two years ago yesterday, in Alaska.
- Speaking of that series, it was this week two years ago that 6,411 fans watched the greatest game in Condors history. To this day, yes even including Ontario’s run in the AHL this season, it’s the most fans to ever watch an ECHL or AHL Conference Finals game in California.
- More on that: three years ago Troy Mann took a risk not many would. He started 1-11-1, didn’t win a regulation game until Nov. 23, and after an ECHL Conference Finals appearance, a Calder Cup Playoffs Series win, and a remarkable run against the supposed greatest team in AHL history, is one win from a Calder Cup Finals place. Very impressive and easy to root for.
- I did not see Lake Erie flying past Ontario, but then again I didn’t have Ontario going this far anyways. Caught the first period the other night and that Monsters team flies.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, the Artist Formerly Known as Portland, Iowa, San Antonio, Manitoba, Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester, Charlotte, Providence, and now “AHL Tucson” have all changed head coaches since the 2015-16 season began. That’s 11 teams or 36.67% of the league. #HoltyMath
- We haven’t covered the Artist Formerly Known as Portland much in the blog. They’re off to Springfield, Mass. I know many of you haven’t been to New England, but let’s just say from a city standpoint, Portland > Springfield. Who knows what they will be called? May as well bring back the Indians. Snoop agrees.
- Speaking of changing places: former San Diego Gulls President Ari Segal was named President of the Arizona Coyotes. I know what some of you might be thinking and don’t worry, we have his credit card info for the Taco Cup bet.
- In the ECHL, Allen & Wheeling will decide the Kelly Cup. Former Condors on the Allen side include Gary Steffes, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, and Dyson Stevenson. For Wheeling, Connor Leen.
- Though not on the player tracker, former Condor d-man Martin Gernat signed with HC Sparta Praha in the Czech Republic.
- In case you were wondering, we shot -7 at the New Car Dealers Association Golf Tournament last Friday. I sank three birdie putts, Hamilton crushed drives, Jose was good from the fairway, and Bartl was Bartl.
- On Hamilton, who missed the end of the regular season with an injury, he’s feeling good and ready to go for next year. He has begun his offseason training regimen with Condors S&C Coach Pat Love along with the first-ever WHL pick from Bakersfield, 17-year old Brayden Watts.
- I had the San Jose Sharks in the Stanley Cup Final. If Pittsburgh wins tonight, the office pool is mine.
- Speaking of Pittsburgh, that’s where the AHL’s Sales & Marketing Meetings will be held in a month. Condors are bringing 10 and some folks from Edmonton. Primanti Bros. will be consumed. Fun fact: 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh once sent us a Primanti Bros. T-Shirt for Matthew Riley doing an interview about Justin Bieber with them.
- Do you like America? Do you like the Condors? Buy a shirt.
- Thanks to everyone who came out to Select-A-Seat/Equipment Sale last night. For those out of town, we may put some items up online throughout the summer, so be on the lookout.
So I guess it is 16 Things w/ Holty.
Until next time Condorstown…
Ryan Holt a.k.a. Holty enters his sixth season as Voice of the Condors in 2016-17. The Primanti order is still up in the air, but the Chili Cheese Fries are certainly on there. Follow him on Twitter @CondorsHolty or shoot him an e-mail with questions, comments, and blog ideas to email@example.com